Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Rainbow in my mind.

One day I was in Pages for All Ages, which was a bookstore in Savoy (before it closed). I was looking through the young adults section, and I picked up a book called A Mango-Shaped Space. The cover had a cat and a bunch of colors on it, so needless to say, I was drawn in quickly. I flipped it over and read the back cover. There was a quote from the book which read “Everyone thinks I named my cat Mango because of his orange eyes, but that’s not the case. I named him Mango because the sounds of his purrs and his wheezes and his meows are all various shades of yellow-orange…” ‘Well that’s interesting,’ I thought. So I read on. The book is about this chick named Mia who is “far from ordinary. She is keeping something from everyone: sounds, numbers, and letters have color for her.” 'Okay, now that’s kind of strange.' I thought. 'Because I do that too…'

I was doing a craft project in elementary school, and I made a necklace with colored beads, which spelled out my name. I told someone about it, and they were kind of confused. As a kid, I usually assumed everything that I did was special, and then later I would find out that everyone did it. So, I naturally assumed that I was the only one who could see letters and numbers in color. Later I realized that I actually was.

As I learned from the book A Mango-Shaped Space, seeing letters and numbers in color is called synesthesia. There are around 60 different kinds of synesthesia, such as seeing a word and having a specific taste in your mouth, or hearing a sound and seeing a shape or a color appear in your vision. This happens because of “crossed wires” in your brain. I would try to explain it from a medical standpoint, but it probably wouldn’t make sense. One of the most common kinds of synesthesia is color-graphemic synesthesia, which is where you see letters and numbers in color. I have this kind of synesthesia, as well as another kind called number form synesthesia. This means that whenever you think of numbers, you form a mental map of the numbers. I also do this with days of the week, months, and years.

So, what exactly does it mean? Well, when I see numbers, letters, or words, I perceive them as a certain color. I don’t exactly see them as a certain color, I just sort of…understand them as a certain color. For example, the letter A is red (which I’ve read is a quite common perception for people with synesthesia, although letters and numbers are not usually perceived as the same color between two different people). I understand A as being red, even though I know, as I type it, that it’s actually black. All of the words on here are black because that is the color that I’m typing in, but I perceive them as being colored. Another example is the word Thursday. Thursday is totally yellow, even though there’s only one yellow letter in it (the h). So, with words, I see the individual letters’ colors, but then there’s also an overall color for the word. (I’m hoping these descriptions make sense.) For days of the week and months, etc, I have a certain image of the order of them. It’s not exactly like I see a picture of the days when I think about them, but I have a certain feeling as to how they’re organized.

I really love having synesthesia, mostly because I really like colors, and it’s neat to have everything be colored. I also love it because it gives me a really good memory, nearly photographic. I can remember numbers and names because of what colors they are, and dates because of the way that I see them ordered. I'm also a really good speller because I can tell when a certain letter doesn't belong in the word because the color is wrong. Some famous people with synesthesia are Nikola Tesla, and both Syd Barrett (founder of Pink Floyd) and Pharrell Williams are thought to have it, but it hasn’t been confirmed.

If you want more information, and a clearer explanation as to why synesthesia happens, Wikipedia has a pretty good page. In closing, here’s an example of how I perceive things; I’ll try to make this as accurate as possible, although sometimes it’s hard to pinpoint the actual color of a letter.

Vivian

This isn’t exactly how it looks, but you get the general idea. :)

9 comments:

  1. tl;dr, dude. And it's totally a cop-out ;p
    Being that this is about synesthia, I'm a bit surprised to not see more color... references? peppered throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so fascinating and cool! As I was reading, I wondered whether this allows you to use color as a mnemonic device, and then you confirmed that indeed you have an excellent memory in part because of your synesthesia. (And here I thought that term was just a poetic device.)

    Great post! You explained this very well, and I like the way you used the book as an entry point into your story. I recall hearing about another recent novel revolving around a character with some form of synesthesia, but I can't recall the details. If I think of it, I'll mention it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- (I miss Pages) that's a cool thing to discover that you have. You have amazed me twice in one day ~ still thinking about how I forgot you were left-handed. This is a great post. I kinda wanna borrow that book now too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bring it to you tomorrow! As a warning, it is a book for 11 and 12ish year olds, so... It might be incredibly light reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I didn't know you had synesthesia! That's actually really cool. I like how you spelled out your name in color at the end. Maybe you could post what the alphabet looks like to you one day?

    Do the colors ever make you sick? Like, there's too much going on for you at once?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally do this all the time, and I had no idea it was actually a thing. I don't know that if the way I see the color is actually what you're talking about? Because it's not a huge part of my life and it doesn't really improve my memory, but I definitely see letters, numbers, and words in color. 4 is totally purple...

    Lovely entry. Tell me more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I recall you mentioning this sometime a while ago, but I had totally forgotten until I read this entry. It seems like such a interesting thing to have... I wish I could see everything as colors :) Maybe sometime you could list the alphabet in the colors you seem them as.
    Great job though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is extremely intriguing. Although I have suspected for a long time that people's recollections are stored and retrieved in different ways (associating pieces of information with emotions, colors, etc.) I never knew it had a scientific name!

    This may sound redundant, but you explained it really well. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really interesting, and I'm glad you shared it. I have perfect pitch and sounds have letters, like your letters have colors.

    ReplyDelete