Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's Soccer Season!!!

Fall and Spring are by far my favorite seasons, because the weather is moderate. Winter is cute and snowy for a few weeks, but by the end of it, all I want to do is stay in bed all day. Summer is nice because there's no school and you can go swimming, but it's just too hot. During Fall, the weather cools down and the leaves change colors, and it's all beautiful and calm. School starts and you get to see all of your friends again, and the homework load isn't too heavy yet. However, I've got to say that Spring is my favorite season, because it's girls' soccer season.

I love soccer. While I'd like to think I've got a little bit of skill with regards to the sport, I'm in no way as good as some people. But, this doesn't really bother me. If I make a mistake in a game or at practice, initially I'll be a little frustrated with myself, but after a while, the frustration will fade, and I'll remember how much fun I'm having. I definitely believe that soccer is one of those sports (at least in a Uni context) where you don't really have to be good; you'll have a great time regardless.

Soccer involves a lot of running, and if you know me well, you'll know how much I despise running. But during soccer, I could run forever. If I've got a ball in front of my feet and I'm dribbling down the field, or if I'm trying to get open for someone to pass me the ball, I'll be all over the place, and I'll run anywhere. I'm a left-midfielder in soccer because I'm left-footed (I'm also left-handed). Since the majority playing are right-handed and therefore (most of the time) right-footed, the ball tends to stay on the right side of the field for a lot of the game. So, if you watch me in a game, you'll see me keeping level with the play, running up and down the left side of the field, back and forth, waiting for a cross of some sort. This ends up being a ton of running, and I'm always exhausted at the end of games, but during the game, I'm so engrossed in watching the play and paying attention and creating options that I don't even notice that I'm moving.

One of the absolute best things about soccer season, though, is the weather. Illinois Winter is enough to drive anyone crazy, and Illinois Winter plus Uni homework plus sleep deprivation really does make me want to sleep all day. But once soccer starts, you know things are going to get better. You get a study hall, which helps with homework, and you also have less time in the afternoons to dilly dally. When you get home from practice, you know you have to do your homework pretty much immediately, and it's nice to have a little more motivation. But it's not like you're wasting two hours of your afternoon either; you're getting to play the best sport ever and hang out with some really cool people. AND not only are all of these things awesome about soccer, but once you get to start practicing outside, the world seems like a much happier place. You're exercising, which I know makes me feel better, and the weather is cool and a little windy, and the grass is starting to get green. It always smells nice outside, like wet grass and Spring, and fried foods from the dining hall at PAR/FAR. Yes. Soccer is a great time.

8 comments:

  1. I'm in total agreement with you on Spring and Fall - the best times of the year, and they're both always too short (esp. in central IL). And I always associate spring with seeing Uni girls on their way to catch the bus to practice in their soccer sandals.

    My eight-year-old son is also starting soccer in a couple of weeks. Some time when one of the Uni girls' games is on a different day than his practice, I'll have to bring him out to cheer for you and your teammates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could play soccer at Uni. However, despite my love for the sport, I love theatre more, and so the play takes precedence over girl's soccer. I used to play soccer a lot when I was younger. I was goalie until I became too short, and then I played forward.

    If only I could do both the play and soccer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I love summer and hot weather. But I agree: soccer season is just awesome. It's pretty much the same ways for guys in the fall. I have a question though. Does coach make you run up and down the hills to the southwest of the field? Because that's what he does with the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring is the absolute best time to be outside playing a sport. With a light breeze and temperatures in the 60s, it's the perfect weather to be running around. It's also nice to watch soccer games outside as a change from sitting in stuffy Kenney Gym watching basketball. You can stretch out on the grass and enjoy the game. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well imagine that, I talk about how much I love spring in my blog post too! It's just such a wonderful season! Perfect temperatures, flowers springing up, and maybe some rain (but at least it's warm rain). I'll be sure to come out and watch some games!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though most people despise me for saying this, I actually do love Spring mainly because Track starts for me. I liked the last paragraph in your post. When I go outside for outdoor practice, I feel happy just being outside in the nice weather, while sprinting and cracking jokes with my sophomore and junior Track mates.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the enthusiasm you portray in your voice. It really makes for a very believable and exciting blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. totally agree! soccer season just brightens up my world and give s me a sense of importance and responsibility. it's always during this time of the year that i feel the most productive and energized

    ReplyDelete