Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Don't judge Mrs. Regan...

Lately I've been reading a book called "Vivian Rising" by Daniella Brodsky. And yes, I was in the bookstore and was distracted by the fact that a book had my name on it. And yes, that's why I picked it up and read the back. BUT. I was also legitimately intrigued, so haters can be quiet.

The book is about a girl named Vivian (or Viv, as she likes to be called by everyone (I just like to be called Viv by my close friends, by the way.)) whose grandma has just died. Viv was raised by her grandma and they were like two peas in a pod. In the beginning of the book, Viv loses her faith in pretty much everything, until something incredibly unexpected happens (dun dun dunnnn). While she was previously skeptical of astrology and horoscopes, Viv gets a reading done by a woman named Kavia, who tells Viv to avoid taking the train home that day. She does as she is told, and the next day, she wakes up to find that the train that she would have taken crashed and the train car that she normally rode in was completely destroyed. Viv is now hooked and, though she tries to suppress her astrological urges, consults her horoscope more and more.

I'm about halfway through this book, and so far, I really like it. I, for one, have always believed in horoscopes and they are generally the first thing I turn to when I pick up my copy of Seventeen Magazine. Some people (my mother) say that horoscopes are either wrong or just coincidental. However, whenever I read my horoscope, it usually fits me pretty well. Or is it just that I make it fit me? Here is where the doubt to my "faith" comes in, because I do this with songs and books and movies too; I recognize similarities between the song/book/movie and my life, and then I start to take advice from said song/book/movie. This sounds pretty odd, but even as I was reading "Vivian Rising," I was thinking, "hmm, her name is Vivian, she is kind of similar to me, her situation is kind of like mine..." and I take notice of what she does. So far, I don't think I have actually consciously followed "advice" gleaned from a song/book/movie, but that's definitely the way I listen to/read/watch them; always on the look out for parallels.

While this might influence my relationship with horoscopes a little, I don't think it has that much of an effect. I actually do believe in horoscopes and astrology and stuff, and I'm always curious to learn more about it. I think it's interesting to see what zodiac signs people are supposed to get along with, and what the character traits of the different signs are. Don't think I'm a crazy; Mrs. Regan did it.

ps. I'm a cancer. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm Gemini on the cusp of Cancer. And I'm an agnostic when it comes to Astrology - I don't believe it, per se, but I don't totally discount that there could be something to it.

    My aunt (who's also my godmother and a devout Catholic) is a professional astrologer. It's pretty interesting to talk to her about this stuff, especially the way she squares her belief in astrology with her Christian/Catholic faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Viv!

    I'm not blaming you because if I saw a book with my name on it (even if it was just a character and not actually the title, but especially if it was the title) I would buy it immediately, even if it was a trashy ex-vampire sci-fi novella in Spanish...anyways~

    Horoscopes are fun, but keeping the line between correlation and causation clear is always a challenge. You probably know this already, but a fun place to mess around in horoscope.com, they have all sorts of information and flashy game type stuff. Check it out!

    And you already know I'm Virgo*

    ReplyDelete