Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"So, Vivian, are you excited for college?"

The answer to that question is yes...and no.

During Spring Break, my dad and I visited six colleges all up and down the Eastern part of the country. I flew out to Washington, DC (where my dad lives) on Saturday, and on Sunday we drove down to North Carolina. We stayed overnight in Davidson, North Carolina, and on Monday, we visited Davidson College and then drove over to Wake Forest University. After that, we drove to Chapel Hill, and visited University of North Carolina on Tuesday. After the tour, we drove back up to DC. On Wednesday afternoon, we drove up to Pennsylvania to visit Bucknell University. We did the tour on Thursday, an continued north to upstate New York. On Friday, we did tours at Hamilton College and Colgate University. On Saturday, we drove back to DC, and on Sunday I flew home.

Was that a hectic paragraph? Yeah, well it was a hectic week. And I was sick (I even woke up with a fever on Saturday) the entire time. While I would like to bemoan my crazy week, I don't. Aside from being a little uncomfortable from coughing and sneezing, I had a great time visiting all of the schools and getting a better idea of what I'm actually looking for in a college. There are so many things to consider, and while it may seem overwhelming to visit so many schools in such a short amount of time, and have so much information thrown at you, it was actually really helpful. Of those six, two of them are out for sure, and two more are on the maybe list. By seeing the schools that I didn't like, I now know what schools to stay away from, which was very helpful.

I learned two things during all of the visits: 1) That I am ridiculously excited and ready for college. 2) That I am ridiculously scared and under-prepared for college. At one point, my dad asked me, "So, Viv, does all of this touring and seeing colleges make you wish you were already in college?" And my immediate reaction was one of hesitation. My response? "Yeah, but it also makes me wish that I didn't hate high school so much."

The truth was that seeing the colleges did make me wish I was there, because they seemed so much more fun than what I'm doing now. You get to pick most of your classes, so that you're actually studying things that you're interested in. You get to have *gasp* free time, and join clubs and participate in intramural sports and other fun things like that. That all seems really fine and great to me. But by wishing myself away to college, that means that I'm not living in the present, not savoring the time I have left at home with my parents. College signifies a completely new stage in your life, one where you have to figure out how to live on your own. Once you graduate, it's not like you can say, "Well that was fun, time to go back to normal life now." and go back and live with your parents.

I suppose what I actually learned was that college is going to come anyway. I can't just plant my feet in the ground and hope that I can stop time (because technically, that's not physically possible). So, though it's a struggle to get up in the morning and come to Uni, I'll appreciate it in the end, and when it's time to actually go to college, I'll be ready and excited.

9 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely. On one hand, I can't wait to get to college, mainly because I want to gain some independence and get away from my house. At the same time, I'm really nervous about what the future will hold and whether I will really enjoy college: will I have fun? will I meet new friends? How will I handle the schoolwork?

    Great Post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way u do and I actually think it's great that you feel ambivalent. Your desire to go to college shows a certain maturity, but your loyalty towards Uni shows how you still appreciate Uni and the person you became while you were here. Those are both good things so you shouldn't have to feel disloyal, just excited!

    And you do still have another year left to make Uni Memories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the most common discussions I have had with my friends this past year has been the one that starts off with "Ah! College! I mean, I'm excited, but I don't want to leave high school either..." I thought you put this feeling that the majority of us have very eloquently and understandably.
    Let's make the most of the time we still have :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way last year after I visited colleges. I couldn't wait to be free and choose what I wanted to do. But now that I have less than two months of school, I find myself excited but scared as well. It's hard coming to school every day, but when you realize that there is only so much more time left, you start to get nostalgic and realize how much you are going to miss it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your whirlwind tour helped clarify your ideas about where you might want to go to college. It's too bad that you feel so unexcited about Uni right now. You should try to change that if you can! Maybe you need a free period that you weren't planning on? Maybe it's time to try a new club? Though in my experience, college is better than high school for all the reasons you suggest and more, I recall my junior and senior years of high school being great years, partly b/c I branched out from my usual social crowd and got to know some new friends, especially younger friends who I was motivated to talk to once my older friends had graduated and moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everything you've said here. I'm so excited to go to college and just have this freedom. Freedom to study what I want, do what I love, join clubs, and go to things I normally wouldn't be able to. Of course, I'll be sad to leave my parents, but super excited to do things without their permission.

    One question, though. You visited UNC but not Duke? :P Haha. (I used to live in Chapel Hill and my mom worked for Duke.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've clearly hit a nerve here. Everyone goes through the same thing (and you know how I was three weeks ago) but that doesn't mean that we can't respect and enjoy the process. You are already so far ahead and thinking very reasonably about it, I have no doubt that you will make a good choice. And yes, visiting is extremely important. It made all the difference for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have no idea how you managed to visit so many schools over spring break. It's truly an amazing feat. Great post Viv.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH THIS IS MOST DEFINITELY THE POST OF THE CENTURY. You have managed to identify what is freaking out everyone right now, especially me! On one hand, I can't wait to leave home and finally gain some independence and explore topics that interest me. Yet, on the other hand, I am totally freaked out about leaving the comfort of my security zone and not having a support system everywhere I go.

    Nonetheless, I can't wait to graduate from Uni because it will at least signal a milestone has been met and that I can handle entering a new setting!

    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete